I have been living off of this super simple Mediterranean style salad lately. It’s super fresh and clean, and what is even better is that it takes less than 10 minutes to prep. Even more so, it’ll keep for days in the fridge so when it comes to weekly meal prep it’s a winner.
The Mediterranean diet is more so a lifestyle than a meal plan. Dating back to ancient times, the focus of it is on clean, fresh, whole ingredients. Lots of healthy fats like olive oil and nuts, fresh fish, whole grains, and even red wine. While I don’t adhere to this 24/7, I do loosely base most of my meals off of these components. For more information and benefits, you can check out this article from the Mayo Clinic; and if this sounds appealing and of interest to you, then check out this 7-day meal plan.
Since we are talking health benefits, here are a few of the ones that are included in the ingredients of my recipe. For more information on each, click the ingredient itself as each is linked to sources with more thorough explanations.
- Olive oil has countless health benefits such as promoting healthy skin and nails, supplying consumers with healthy fats, lowering cholesterol, and improving heart health.
- Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are a great source of protein and among many things, help curb your appetite.
- Cucumbers are a great way to stay hydrated and add in flavor and nutrients.
- Tomatoes not only provide you with vitamins and nutrients, but have also been linked to lowering risk of certain cancers and heart disease.
- Lemon also adds fantastic, fresh flavor, but more importantly is a great source of vitamin C.
- Dill is a great source for manganese, vitamins A and C, and even is rich of antioxidants.
- Feta cheese is a great source of calcium which ultimately helps with bone health.