Makeup brushes are great tools for applying makeup, but like anything else, they need some TLC every so often too. While you can buy pre-made makeup brush cleaners at your closest makeup aisle. There are many ways that you can cleanse your brushes at home with things that you already have around the house.
For a few years now, I have been using the following “recipe” for cleaning my brushes. I don’t always get around to cleaning them on a routinely basis, but I do try to do this several times a month.
What you need:
-your daily face wash
-white distilled vinegar
-dry old wash cloth
***In the past, I have used Dawn dish soap instead of the face wash and vinegar, which also worked well.***
- Pump 2-3 squirts of your face wash into a clean glass.
- Add about a 3 count pour of white distilled vinegar.
- Fill the rest of the jar with warm/hot water.
- Swirl the solution around so that it is well mixed.
- Place dirty makeup brushed into the solution, and allow to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the brushes, and rinse with clean, flowing water from the faucet. You may need to use your hands to wring out any excess makeup that is still residing in the brush.
- If your brushes are still pretty dirty, repeat steps 5 & 6 another time.
- Pat brushes dry with an old wash cloth. (Using an old one is optimal in case any makeup rubs off while drying.)
- Let brushes air dry. (I usually try to clean my brushes in the evening when I won’t need to apply any more makeup for the day.)