Two of my favorite dishes are chicken nugget casserole and chicken divan. Both of these dishes taste like home and are great for leftovers throughout the week. Tonight I set out to make a lighter version of the traditionally heavy breaded chicken nugget casserole, but in turn created a hybrid of two of my favorites.
What you need:
-chicken (I just used two breasts, sliced in half each)
-sliced portobello mushrooms
-1 can of condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup
-1 can of chicken broth
-about 4 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese
-Panko bread crumbs
-grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, lay out the pieces of chicken.
- Lightly dust the chicken with some grated Parmesan and Panko bread crumbs.
- Bake the chicken for about 20 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the baking sheet and chop into nugget sized pieces.
- In a greased casserole dish, place chicken, chopped broccoli, and sliced mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese and some more Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the can of condensed soup over the casserole. Fill the empty can about half way with water, and pour on the casserole.
- Pour the can of chicken broth over the casserole.
- Cover the casserole with more bread crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and return to the oven for about another 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice, and enjoy!
(The picture doesn’t quite do the meal justice, but I promise it tastes good!)