The holidays have arrived, and so have the invites to social gatherings. Whether you are hosting a dinner at your home, going out to a fancy ticket event, office party, or gathering elsewhere – your closet is probably needing an excuse to expand its contents. Here are five different ways you can dazzle and shine this holiday season.
- Dressed up plaids
- Metallics and Sequins
- Monochromatic ensembles
- Jewel tones
- Velvet crush
Dressed up plaids
If you are feeling very J.Crew – and wanting to mix shine with casual comfy, this is the style for you. Best for a low-key celebration, these pieces and outfit combos will look effortless and cool. The best part is that you probably have some form of plaid in your wardrobe already!
- Perfect shirt in Stewart Plaid / $78 / J. Crew
- Mini Skirt in Double-Serge Wool / $98 / J. Crew
- Layered Circle Necklace / $19.50 / J. Crew Factory
- Wool Sidewalk Skirt / $27.50 / J. Crew Factory
- Flannel shirt in boy fit / $27.50 / J. Crew Factory
Metallics and Sequins
If you like to be seen, or just want to feel a bit of glam at your holiday gathering, this style is for you. Whether it’s a hint of shine here or an entire ensemble, you will dazzle your friends and family. Depending on the piece, you can rock this style at all types of holiday gatherings.
- Embellished Shoulder Tank / $78 / Banana Republic
- Pleated Metallic Midi Skirt / $34.80 / Abercrombie & Fitch
- Sequin T-shirt / $44.50 / J. Crew Factory
- Knit Foil Midi Skirt / $88 / Banana Republic
- Cropped Sequin Top / $39.90 / Zara
When in doubt go against everything you know about “matchy matchy” and go with a monochromatic outfit in a neutral hue. Black, gray, winter white, beige – you can’t go wrong. These ensembles work well for day-t0-night dressing and can be jazzed up with a statement necklace or set of earrings. Another plus? You can easily do this with what you already have in your closet.
- Black Lace Top / $49.90 / Zara
- Calvin Klein’s Straight-Leg Trousers /$42.99/Macy’s
- Jimmy Choo Abel Suede Pumps / ON SALE: $298 / Net-A-Porter
- Equipment Asher oversized sweater / $290 /Net-A-Porter
- Ponte Zipper Leggings / $79 / Ann Taylor
- Women’s Drew Pointed Toe Flats / $24.99 / Merona for Target
- Cropped Top with Pleats / $49.90 / Zara
- Relaxed Fit Crepe Trousers / $39.90 / Zara
- Laminated Slingback High Heel Shoes / $39.90 / Zara
A tried-and-true outfit idea is jeweled tone pieces. Whether it is a piece of jewelry, bag, or top – this style is always a win, especially at the holidays. All of these tones work well on all skin/hair tone combos. If you are unsure however, you can try to follow these suggestions. Darker tones? Opt for a ruby or amethyst hue. Medium to lighter tones? Try emerald. Fair? Sapphire all the way. Depending on the piece, you can wear jewel tones to a variety of events.
- Jeweled Silk Tassel Earrings / $59.90 / Ann Taylor
- Frilled Long Sleeve Blouse / $29.90 / Zara
- Frilled Dress / $49.90 / Zara
- Butterfly Stud Earrings / $39.50 / Ann Taylor
- Floral Statement Earrings / $59.50 / Ann Taylor
- Frill Detail Top / $29.90 / Zara
One of the best style trends this season is velvet. You can find it in an array of pieces in many stores for MANY different price points today. Bags, shoes, tops, pants, and skirts have all been created in this luscious fabric. Depending on the piece and how you choose to wear it will determine the audience that is best suited for.
- Alex’s Evenings Velvet Wrap Top / $99 / Lord & Taylor
- Women’s Ally Velvet Pumps / $37.99 / Who What Wear for Target
- T Tahari Tina Velvet Tapered Pants / ON SALE: $68.60 / Bloomingdale’s
- Abbeline Velvet Midi Slip Dress / $98 / South Moon Under
- Velvet Ankle Pants / $98 / Ann Taylor
- Women’s Diamond by FarylRobin Celinda Velvet Embellished Flats / $34.99 / Target
- Velvet and Mesh Crop Top / ON SALE: $29.94 / Express