This version of eggplant Parmesan is a lighter and a bit more healthy version to its traditional counterpart.
What you need:
-eggplant (we used one regular and one small graffiti eggplant)
-grated Parmesan cheese
-Panko bread crumbs
-fresh herbs (parsley and basil)
-sauce (we used two jars)
- Thinly slice the eggplant and lay on a baking sheet. Generously sprinkle salt all over the slices, and allow to sit for an hour or so. The salt will draw out any excess water and take away some of the bitterness of it. When you are ready, wipe off any remaining salt.
- In a casserole dish, spray PAM and cover the bottom with Panko bread crumbs.
- Layer eggplant slices with a fresh piece of mozzarella, chopped mushrooms, onions, and herbs.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese all over.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all of your ingredients are gone.
- Cover the eggplant with sauce.
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about an hour.