Cold fall nights call for hearty soups and stews, especially when they are of the Italian variety – perfect for Sunday dinner. While scrolling through my phone this afternoon, I came across a recipe for Tuscan Tortellini Soup. Immediately I added the ingredients to my shopping list and off to the store I went. I am so glad that I found this recipe and that we tried it tonight.
What you need:
-crushed red pepper
-1 can of crushed tomatoes
– 1 can of chicken broth
-1 can of cannelloni beans
-1 package of chicken sausage (I used Wegmans organic Caprese)
-1 package of tortellini
- Drizzle olive oil in a large sauce pot.
- Add cooked sausage and onion. Let the onion brown (but just barely).
- Add can of chicken broth and can of crushed tomatoes.
- (To taste) add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper, and fresh herbs.
- Add the tortellini.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the can of beans and Parmesan cheese (to taste).
- Turn up the heat ever so slightly, add let the soup sit for about 5 more minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, add chopped fresh spinach.
This soup was DELICIOUS and tasted as if I slaved for hours in the kitchen. It also made plenty so there will be leftovers for dinner tomorrow. We paired our soup with a glass of Big House Cabernet Sauvignon. The deep sweetness of this wine paired well with the fresh herbs and tomato base; as well as the saltiness of the Parmesan cheese.